Musings and projects and geekness, oh my.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Redheads are feisty, blondes have more fun, and brunettes are... dependable?

So, currently reading a fantasy novel calling itself a fairy tale for adults, which is centered on a man discovering that fairy tale characters are real. As a first act twist we find out that the raven-haired, dark-eyed beauty is an evil witch and that the fair-skinned blond is a good elf trying to save him. Really? That's the twist? The dark one is evil and the light one good? I figured that one out as soon as we were introduced to the characters. You know why? Because it's a fairy tale; and like any fairy tale there are rules on appearance traits that are reflections of character traits. So black/dark is always evil and light/white is always good. So this wasn't much of a twist, really.

But it got me thinking, this is a stereotyping that exists beyond fairy tales and stories in general, whether novels, tv, or movies. Even in day to day life there are stereotypes based on looks. Blonds have more fun or are stupid (or both). Redheads are feisty and have short tempers. Raven-tresses are exotic and dark (and these days Goth). Brunettes are... well... there's not really anything for brunettes. That's something I noticed growing up as I have the most medium brown hair possible; it's totally average and like many children I wanted to be different and not have my boring brown hair.


But this fairy tale with its stereotypes of appearance reflecting personality traits got me thinking again about my own hair; especially as I recently have decided to go back to my medium brown. Since my senior year of HS I had been dying my hair red; first started with red streaks and then to a full head of auburn (red-brown) to an ongoing variation of vibrant reds. I got compliments on how the red hair suited my pale complexion so I kept dying my hair; I was never particular about the shade so sometimes it would be subdued reddish-brown, sometimes it would be deep dark purplish-red, others a bright fire engine red. It was fun, but I got tired of having to re-dye it every six weeks to cover the roots. So last year I decided to change back to the brown, mostly for laziness and partially because I wanted to try brown again.


And so with my basic brown hair, I thought about stereotype appearances and fairy tale stories and I realized something. If I was a character in a story or novel or movie or what not, I wouldn't be either the hero or villain. With the average brown hair and hazel eyes I would be a background character or a good friend of the hero or a smart cousin or something. I'm not complaining I just find it interesting that I'm too average of appearance, so I wouldn't be anything interesting in a story. Oh well, I enjoy my non-eventful life.


But for now, "It's me, Hector 2. Quiet he might hear you." (Timecrimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment