Musings and projects and geekness, oh my.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Welcome to Buffyverse.

My first experience with a Joss Whedon creation was "Firefly;" my brother introduced me to it through the DVD box set and after two episodes I was hooked. I watched his set all the way through, and then bought my own set. I have watched the full "Firefly" series many times and have loaned it out to create many new followers. After "Firefly" came Serenity and then last summer was "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog;" I watched all and continued to be enamored with everything coming from Whedon.

But then there was the question of "Buffy." I had never watched "Buffy" - didn't interest me in HS/College and didn't have any friends that watched it. Then "Angel" came out, and I took one look at David Boreanaz's spiky (douchebag) hair and said "no." But having watched everything else in the Whedonverse, I thought maybe I should give "Buffy" a chance. That and the first two seasons of "Buffy" were on Hulu, which made it easier (and free).

First few episodes were ok, and then came the hyena episode (entitled "The Pack") and Alison Hannigan's comment on the zebra sex: "It's like the Heimlich... with stripes." After that, I was hooked to the glib interplay between the characters and the overall cheeseball factor. Since then I have followed Buffy and the gang through killing the Master/Buffy dying, Angel turning evil again, Buffy bringing Angel back his soul only to send him to hell, the introduction of Faith, the mayor is evil, and then they blow up the HS because the Mayor became a giant snake demon (sorry to all who I just spoiled the major plots of the first three seasons). And then once I finished the third season of "Buffy," I then of course had to start watching "Angel" in conjunction with "Buffy."

Now that I am halfway through "Buffy" season four and "Angel" season one, I have to say that Joss Whedon continues to amuse and entertain. And probably the thing that I enjoy most is the witty repartee, as with any Whedon show. That and they constantly ridicule themselves; any show with tons of demons and vampires and constantly fighting against the apocalypse can't take themselves too seriously or they'll collapse under their own weight (as "Heroes" seems to be doing this season). And every now and again there's a great moment that makes it all worth it, like Angel dancing in the episode "She" (the selling point of it is the happy, gleeful look on his face; the very antithesis of the brooding Angel).

So for now I'm really enjoying it, but I've heard that "Buffy" and "Angel" really change before the end of both series, so we shall see.

But for now, "We're going to make a covenant, Carl. Do you want to make a covenant?" (Yes Man)

No comments:

Post a Comment