Musings and projects and geekness, oh my.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Of skeletons and crashing skies and trout...

So, I was going to get a lot more blogging done this weekend and then I got caught up in movies and then got sick and then spent the rest of the weekend on the couch. But before sickness was Jason Webley.

Friday night was fun. Me and Kurt went out with a couple friends to a Jason Webley show. Kurt & I first saw Jason at a Dresden Dolls show in LA; he was one of many openers, and we greatly enjoyed the strange man with an accordion singing happy little songs about death. I bought one of his CDs, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as the live show. The live performance is so much better because of his energy and the audience participation. So, I joined the mailing list to keep up with any possible future performances in the area. Last year he did a couple shows in St Louis and Kurt & I went to one. And then we heard that he was to be back again this April, and we knew we had to go and bring friends.


Jason is an interesting entertainer; one day he decided he would start touring with what money he had and would stop once the money ran out. It's now been eleven years (he's having an
anniversary show this July) and he's still going strong. Friday night's show was no different; there was a small crowd to begin with but we were energetic and our numbers grew through the show. The audience participation was even more fun than I remembered, and I got to be the one to eat the poisoned pear and die (go see a show and you too will understand).

Here's some pics I took:

Jason tuning his guitar before the show:


Crazy accordion-man (forgot the red-eye on the flash so he does look **crazy**):


The show will not stop even with a popped string:


An energetic performer, so always blurry without a flash:


A post-show pic of me and Jason (yep, I'm totally geeking out there):


So moral of this post is GO SEE A
JASON WEBLEY SHOW! Yeah, it's fun and you'll thank me later. For now I will finish "Buffy" season 4.

But for now, "I showed up on time, so I get to be cowboy guy."

"Do you mind? I'm talking to my demon."

"I think I figured out how to steer by gesturing emphatically."

"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."

"Wait, you'll miss the humorous conclusion."

*Singing* "And try not to bleed on my couch; I just had it steam-cleaned."

"We'd better build a fort." "I'll get some pillows" ("Buffy", Season 4, Season Finale)

No comments:

Post a Comment